Solar Dynamic Observatory data at the Solar Influences Data analysis Center
SDO data @ SIDC
The SDO data center is dedicated to the acquisition of SDO/AIA and SDO/HMI data from the Joint Science Operations Center (JSOC) located in Stanford, and the subsequent provision of the data to SIDC scientists .
It was completely reinstalled in 2013 to take into account the new hardware, and the needs of the SIDC scientists and services.
## Data Availibility
- AIA quicklook data in all 10 wavelengths as [FITS files](/data/aia_quicklook), [PNG images](/data/aia_quicklook_image) and [MP4 videos](/data/aia_quicklook_video)
- AIA synoptic data in 94Å and 211Å as [FITS files](/data/aia_synoptic)
- AIA science data level 2 in 193Å as [FITS files](/data/aia_science_level2)
- HMI magnetogram science data level 1.5 as [FITS files](/data/hmi_science_level1_5)
- AIA firstlight data level 1 as [FITS files](/data/aia_firstlight)
If you are a SIDC scientist, you can access the data directly on yama under /data/SDO/
## Data Access
For any other data, we recommend to use the tools provided by JSOC to download the data directly from them.
### Access SDO data via IDL and the VSO & SolarSoft library
You can search and download AIA & HMI data from IDL through the VSO with the [SolarSoft library](https://www.lmsal.com/solarsoft/), see the [tutorial on how to search and download data](./vso_idl.html) and [examples how to make videos for AIA or HMI](./sdo_video_idl.html).
### Access SDO data via Python & SunPy
You can search and download AIA & HMI data via Python by using the [SunPy library](https://sunpy.org/), see the [tutorial on how to search and download data](https://docs.sunpy.org/en/stable/generated/gallery/acquiring_data/searching_vso.html), and the [tutorial on how to request cutouts of AIA images from the JSOC](https://docs.sunpy.org/en/stable/generated/gallery/acquiring_data/downloading_cutouts.html)
## Meetings and Presentations
Some of the information below is now obsolete and is kept for archiving reasons.
- [STCE workshop on 'Accessing and Exploitation of SDO data at STCE'](./STCE2011workshop.html), held on May 23, 2011
- [Soteria Capacity Building Workshop](https://www.sidc.be/users/boyes/SDOSSW/soteria_feb_2011.pdf), held on February 15, 2011
- [3rd SDO pipeline meeting](./Meeting20100917.html) held on September 17, 2010 at ROB
- [COSPAR 2010 presentation of David Boyes](https://www.sidc.be/users/boyes/cospar10_slides.ppt)
- [Distributing and mining SDO data in Europe](./uploads/SDO_HO_COSPAR2010_SDODistibutingMining_SP_VAD20100725.pptx), talk at COSPAR 2010 by S. Parenti and V. Delouille. (.pptx)
- [1st SDO pipeline meeting](./Meeting20090609.html) held on June 9, 2009 at ROB
- [BNC09 presentation of David Boyes](https://www.sidc.be/users/boyes/bnc_2009_rob.ppt)
- [TeleScience meeting Notes](./TLSMeetingNotes.html)
## Useful links
- [The LMSAL Guide to SDO Data Analysis](https://www.lmsal.com/sdodocs/doc/dcur/SDOD0060.zip/zip/entry/)
- [The SDO operations calendar](https://aia.lmsal.com/public/SDOcalendar.html)
- [The description of the keywords used in the FITS files](http://jsoc.stanford.edu/doc/keywords/JSOC_Keywords_for_metadata.pdf)
- [The offical SDO webpage at NASA](https://sdo.gsfc.nasa.gov/)
- [The official AIA instrument webpage at LMSAL](https://aia.lmsal.com/)
- [The official HMI instrument webpage at Stanford](http://hmi.stanford.edu/)
- [The official EVE instrument webpage at LASP](https://lasp.colorado.edu/home/eve/)
- [The webpage of SIDC where the Belgian SDO data center resides](https://www.sidc.be/)
- [The webpage of the German SDO data center](https://www2.mps.mpg.de/projects/seismo/GDC-SDO/index.htm)
- [The webpage of the English SDO data center](https://www.uclan.ac.uk/research/activity/solar-dynamics-observatory)
- [The webpage of the French SDO data center](https://www.ias.u-psud.fr/fr/activites-de-recherche/physique-solaire-et-stellaire/sdo)
- [The webpage of jHelioviewer](http://www.jhelioviewer.org/), a great software to visualize and study the Sun